My mom use to make this koftas with the over abundance of papayas in our backyard tree. So when I came across green papayas in the market, I quickly selected one to prepare this long lost delicacy. Green papaya contains enzymes that aid in digestion and is often added to the non veg curries to help them quick faster. Try this simple and delicious dish, I am sure you will have everyone licking their fingers
You will need
1. I small raw green papaya
2. 1\2 cup besan
3. 2 red onions
4. 2 big juicy tomatoes
5. 2 cloves garlic
6. 1 inch piece of ginger
7. 3-4 green chillis
8. 1 tablespoon oil + more for deep frying koftas
9. Cilantro for garnish
10. From the spice box (1 teaspoon cumin seeds, 1 teaspoon red chilli powder, I teaspoon turmeric, 1 teaspoon dhaniya powder, 1 teaspoon kitchen king masala, I teaspoon garam masala)
For the koftas
1. Peel and grate the papya
3. Mix papaya, green chillis, cilantro and besan to prepare the mixture for kofta. If needed add couple tablespoons of water.
4. Make small balls and deep fry in hot oil
5.Drain on a paper towel and keep aside
For the gravy
1. In the blender make a paste of ginger garlic, onions and tomatoes.
2. Heat a tablespoon of canola oil in a pan
3. Add cumin and let splutter
4. Add ginger garlic paste and onions and fry till the mixture turns light brown in color
5. Add tomato paste and the spices and keep on cooking on medium flame for about 10 minutes. At this point everything will come together in a smooth mesh
6. Add two glasses of water and let boil for 10-15 minutes.
Add the koftas to the gravy and let them drunk in the hot gravy about 20 minutes before serving hot with phulkas or naans.
Saturday, June 5, 2010
Mouthful of post, isn’t it . Well, I had a big batch of mint growing in my backyard and what better way to put it to use it to create stuff out of which memories are made. Make it for yourself as a special treat, or make everyone happy by making it for a party. With store bought panipooris, it is ready in a jiffy and is sure to win you accolades.
If you don’t want the whole enchilada, sever jaljeera as a refreshing drink in the hot summer months or use imli ki chutni with bhelpuri, samosa, kachori , pakode , aloo tikki or dahi vada. The possibilities are endless, let your imagination fly.
It’s a very forgiving recipe in sense that you can alter, replace or omit an ingredient without much damage to the end result. All ingredients are easily available in your pantry.
For imli ki chutni
1. 200 grams dry imli (tamarind)
2. 1 cup jaggery (gur).
3. 2 teaspoon red chilli powder
4. 1 teaspoon salt
5. 2 heaped teaspoon cumin seeds.
1. Soak tamarind in warm water for half an hour
2. Boil the mixture till everything comes together in a mush
3. Strain the tamarind pulp.
4. All the jaggery, chili powder and salt and boil for 5 minutes
5. Dry roast the cumin on a hot griddle or tawa
6. Coarsely powder the cumin seeds and add to chutney
7. Add more salt, jaggery, chilli posder to obtain the blend of flavors that you like best.
8. Store in an airtight glass container. This can stay fresh in refrigerator for up to 2 months.
Use over any savory chaat Item J. You can substitute brown or white sugar for jaggery, kala namak for table salt, add black pepper, chaat masala etc
1. 2 cups tightly packed mint leaves
2. 1 cup cilantro or dhaniya leaves
3. 2-3 green chillis
4. 1 inch pice of ginger
5. 1 teaspoon salt, amchoor, cumin and chaat masala
1. Blend everything together in a blender.
2. Store in refrigerator in a glass bottle
3. When serving take 1 part jaljeera and 3 parts water
4. Add one-two teaspoon imli ki chutney
5. Garnish with boondi and serve as a refreshing summer drink
You can prepare this in large quantities to be used as pani for the pani pooris.
Filling for pani pooris
1. 1 big potato
2. 1 cup boiled chana (both black and white chana will do)
3. Salt and fresh black pepper
1.Boil and mash the potato.
2. Mix chana, potato, salt and pepper.
1. Take pani poori in a plate
2. Make a hole in between
3. Add a teaspoon of chana-aloo mixture
4. Adbd a teaspoon of imli chutney
5. Dip in Jaljeera and enjoy :)
There are you go, easy peesy wasn’t it. Its going to be a huge hit at any party, potluck or cookout. Enjoy!